Instagram has become a wonderful social media outlet to really show off your brand’s image, and give your viewers and potential consumers a feel for what your company embodies. With Instagram’s rise in popularity for both individuals and businesses, knowing how to track your success on this social media outlet is key.
Not only do you need to know what social media management Instagram metrics to track, but also what each of these metrics actually tell you. The metrics for each social media platform are different, but they all tell you basically the same thing – the size and engagement of your audience. Here, I will highlight the metrics which are important to track for Instagram, and what these metrics actually tell you.
In order to track you or your company’s Instagram metrics on a monthly or weekly basis (depending on how often you post to Instagram), you may consider using a chart like the one on the right in Excel or Google Spreadsheets, which highlights each of the important Instagram metrics including:
- Followers: the number of Instagram users following your Instagram profile & posts
- Following: the number of Instagram users you are following (and how this compares to how many followers you have/gain)
- Posts: the number of pictures/graphics you have posted
- Likes: the number of likes you get on your posts
- Comments: the number of comments you get on your posts
- Mentions: the amount of times Instagram users have @ mentioned you in their posts
- Tags: the amount of times Instagram users have tagged you in their own posts
- Hashtags: depending on what your designated Hashtags are, you should be tracking these, and how many times Instagram users use these hashtags in their posts (see examples in the table on the right)
In addition to tracking the sort of metrics explained above, Instagram has also recently announced that they will be rolling out a new suite of business tools in the next couple of months. The most useful tool for basic tracking is the Account Insights page which “allows businesses to see how they’re increasing brand awareness on Instagram through impressions, reach, and engagement”. As you can see in the image on the left, the summary page in Account Insights reveals an Instagram user their impressions, reach, and a snapshot view of their number of posts, followers, and following. This will make it easy for you to quickly fill in some of the chart above.
Since Instagram is a fairly new social media platform, there are only a few free tools out there which you may use to gauge your Instagram metrics:
I hope these tips on Instagram metrics have helped you! Please comment on what your experience with using any of these free tools and/or tracking Twitter metrics are. Join the discussion and leave your comments below.
Lastly, please feel free to contact us directly. You can always send us a message via our contact form or email me directly at: shaina at wildstory dot com.
Don’t forget to stay in touch with us on social media and learn about new blog posts, upcoming events, PR and social media tips, and much more. Join our #wildstory or share your own #wildstory on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn by using #mywildstory.